The FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 is the 22nd FIFA Women’s World Cup, the quadrennial international women’s football world championship contested by the national teams of the member associations of FIFA. It will be held in Australia and New Zealand from July 20 to August 20, 2023.
The tournament has seen fiery fights between formidable teams. Read to find out the highlights!
Summary of FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 matches:
- Australia vs Denmark (Round of 16): Australia won 2-0, with goals from Sam Kerr and Caitlin Foord.
- England vs Nigeria (Round of 16): The match was drawn 0-0 after extra time, and England won 4-3 on penalties.
- Sweden vs United States (Round of 16): The match was drawn 0-0 after extra time. Sweden won 3-2 on penalties.
- Netherlands vs South Africa (Round of 16): Netherlands won 2-0, with goals from Vivianne Miedema and Lieke Martens.
- Japan vs Norway (Round of 16): Japan won 3-1, with goals from Yui Hasegawa, Hina Sugita, and Riko Ueki.
- Switzerland vs Spain (Round of 16): Spain won 5-1. With goals from Alexia Putellas, Mariona Caldentey, Aitana Bonmati, Marta Cardona, and Lucia Garcia.
Knockout Table for FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023
England’s Laura James Red Card summary
During the round of 16 match between England and Nigeria, England forward Lauren James was shown a red card in the 87th minute for stamping on Nigeria defender Michelle Alozie. The incident occurred after the whistle had blown for a foul, and James was initially given a yellow card by referee Melissa Borjas. However, after VAR intervention, the decision was upgraded to a red card.
The red card meant that James would miss England’s quarter-final match against Norway. However, England went on to win the match 2-1 and progress to the semi-finals. James was later suspended for three matches by FIFA, but the suspension was reduced to two matches on appeal.
The red card incident was a major talking point after the match. Some people arguing that it was a harsh decision, while others felt that it was a fair punishment for James’ actions. Ultimately, it was up to the referee to decide whether or not the incident warranted a red card. She made her decision based on the evidence that was available to her.
James has apologized for her actions and has said that she understands why she was sent off. She has also said that she is determined to learn from her mistake and to come back stronger in the future.